Sunday, February 14, 2010

Who Am I??? It's time for a new prophet spotlight in Primary.

Who Am I????


-I was born in Huntsville, Utah


-My father served a mission in Scotland when I was 8 and later I would too


-In my career I was a teacher


-I married Emma Roy Riggs but I called her Ray because she was a "Ray" of sunshine


-I was ordained an apostle when I was 32 years old


-After serving 45 years as an apostle I was called to be the prophet


-I introduced the first proselyting plan for missionaries


-I said "Every member a missionary"


-When I was the prophet church membership more than doubled




DAVID O MCKAY 1873-1970
Years of President 1951-1970


I'm also sharing this story about him:

“When David was only seven years of age, his two older sisters died, and a short time later his father was called on a two-year church mission to his native Scotland. Mrs. McKay was expecting [another baby] in ten days. The ranch had to be run; a young family had to be fed. But the church came first. It was a test of faith. As the elder McKay climbed on his horse to leave, he lifted his little son up into his arms, kissed him goodbye, and said, ‘David, take care of Mama and the family.’ That day David O. McKay’s childhood ended and he became a man, with an exceptional sense of responsibility.
“The worst part of it was the fears David had at night, of Indians or desperadoes coming and molesting them. ‘One night, I could not sleep, and I fancied I heard noises around the house. I became terribly wrought in my feelings, and I decided to pray as my parents had taught me. I thought I could pray only by getting out of bed and kneeling, and that was an awful test. But I did finally bring myself to get out of bed and kneel and pray to God to protect Mother and the family. And a voice, speaking as clearly to me as mine is to you, said, “Don’t be afraid; nothing will hurt you.” Where it came from, what it was, I am not saying. You may judge. To me it was a direct answer’

3 comments:

Kris Hannah said...

I love your blog! Your blogs are so inspiring! I cannot wait to see whatelse you post on here. You inspire me... I am still trying to find myself... in everything... and I appreciate you and your thoughts.

Kris Hannah said...

Thanks for the comment earlier. It is nice having some positive feedback in a world that is so negative!

Julia Shinkle said...

Anna I didn't know you had a blog until Abby posted something on facebook. I have one too obviously. This year my posts are going to double as scrapbook pages so things look a little strange over there right now. Good to see you in the blogging world. I heard the Wes got glasses...I bet he looks super cute! If you go back to my September Archive there is a fist day of school post with Rowdy wearing his glasses too. Oh, actually the post I just did he is wearing them. I'll be stoppin' in now that I know you have a blog!

Post a Comment