Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Bowman Cookbook Strikes Again

I looked into my crisper drawer in the refrigerator and I found apples, apples, and apples. I think at one time Todd the Bod was going to make an apple pie but didn't have time. So low and behold I had over ten apples. I needed a recipe and I needed it fast. So I turned to the out of print Bowman Family Cookbook and found a recipe from my Aunt Sharon, "Apple Pudding and Sauce". What was unusual I had all the ingredients so I went to work and it was delicious. This is what the kids and I had for dinner.
Apple Pudding and Sauce
2 cups sugar
1/2 c Butter
2 Eggs
4 unpeeled apples
2 c sifted flour
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts

Sauce
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
3/4 c canned milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash of nutmeg

Gradually add sugar to butter, creaming well. Add eggs and beat well. Shred apples medium fine, add at once to creamed mixture. Stir in sifted dry ingredients. Add walnuts. Bake in 9x13 greased pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Sauce: heat together butter, sugar, and canned milk over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently until blended and slightly thickened. DO NOT BOIL. Add vanilla and nutmeg. Serve over hot pudding.



It may not look like much but it was delicious!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment