Sunday, January 10, 2010

SPOTLIGHT, SPOTBRIGHT

Last year in primary we spotlighted each child, using a flashlight to find them in the room. This year I wanted to spotlight prophets. On the second and third week I will be sharing stories and playing Who am I???
This is the Who am I this week, can you guess??? Remember this is for primary aged children.

-My Birthday is December 23
-I had 5 brothers and three sisters
-One of them named Don Carlos dies at the age of 25 with pneumonia like symptoms
-I read James 1:5 that forever changed my life
-On January 18th, 1827 I married my wife Emma Hale
-In 1820 I saw God the Father and His son Jesus Christ and they instructed me not to join any church
-Through revelation I translated the Book of Mormon
-On April 6th 1830 I organized the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
-I was the first prophet in the last dispensation
-By inspiration, I called Apostles and other church leaders, defined doctrines and taught principles and ordinances that would lead to exaltation
-On June 27th, 1844 at Carthage Illinois, I died a martyr to my faith
I AM JOSEPH SMITH


Here are the stories I shared:

“It Makes Them Happy”


On another occasion Joseph Smith had indulged in playing a game of ball with some of the young men Nauvoo. When his brother Hyrum saw it he wished to correct the Prophet and even rebuked him, saying that such conduct was not becoming in a prophet of the Lord. The Prophet answered in a mild voice, “Brother Hyrum, my mingling with the boys in a harmless sport like this does not injure me in any way, but on the other had it makes them happy and draws their hearts nearer to mine; and who knows but there may be young men among them who may sometime lay down their lives for me!”

“I feel sorry for This Brother to the Amount of Five Dollars”

When the Saints had been driven from Missouri and began to settle in Illinois, Joseph went to Quincy, where “he visited around from house to house among the Saints to see how they were situated, and gave words of strength and encouragement to them.” When informed some time later that a brother who lived some distance from Nauvoo had had his house burned down, nearly everyone present expressed sympathy for the man, But Joseph put his hand in his pocket, took out five dollars, and said: “I feel sorry for this brother to the amount of five dollars; how much do you feel sorry?”

I have a testimony of Joseph Smith. I know he was a true prophet. Every time I teach this principle or bare my testimony of Joseph Smith I feel the spirit so strong. As I'm looking at his life to find things to share with the primary I'm amazed at what he accomplished. I'm forever grateful for him in being the instrument of restoring the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Doctrine and Covenants 135:3 "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it."

0 comments:

Post a Comment